layout

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Ode to the Perfect Daddy


During naptime (Izaih's) I started watching Dan in Real Life with Mark. Haven't finished it, but Steve Carrell's character reminded me sooo much of my dad in the beginning. My dad has been my saving grace in life and has been one of the biggest blessings bestowed on me (I could say that about most of my family but I'm making this about Dad right now:) ). I can't imagine a daughter being more proud of her daddy. I adored him since day one. Everything he did, I did, including eating my peas and M&M's the EXACT same way he did (removing the shell first, duh), drinking Diet Coke because he did, etc. I watched his EVERY move and wanted to be just like him. When I was little I would fearlessly threaten "mean people" that "my dad with big muscles will beat you up if you don't stop!!". I thought I was untouchable because of the way he kept me safe and feeling secure. Lots of my little friends had crushes on him, and though this might have weirded out other young girls, I beamed with pride.

As I got older, everything he said made an imprint on me. I took on all his opinions and beliefs. I watched how gentle and loving he was with my mom. I took notice of all the countless ways he showed his love to me and my siblings. I watched the way he loved each person he met and lived to serve. He forgave anyone who did us wrong, and calmed me when I just wanted to seek revenge. He taught us every day about God's love, and while he never made it a secret how important God was in his life, he actually showed it more by his actions than his words. He taught us integrity and humility, love and service. I could go on and on for DAYS about what all my dad has taught me. . .

A lot of fathers look great like that on the outside, but are very different behind closed doors. A lot of people I know who were also PK's (preacher's kids) have very different stories about their fathers. Very very few of them can say that their fathers were truly as good as they acted in public. I can say the opposite. My dad was BETTER than what he showed others. He had the utmost humility and did most of his "good deeds" unnoticed. Unfortunately, it is often in a minister's job description to proclaim your good works in order to be seen as holy and righteous. My dad never conformed to that.

I remember my dad making me peanut butter and syrup sandwiches when Mom was gone. He always took me to Quik Trip to get a drink anytime we went anywhere. He took me out for breakfast before school so we could have time together. He stayed home with me and got me McDonald's on sick days. He would listen to me for countless hours as I cried and ached over each boy who broke my heart and each girl who betrayed me. He filled up the gas tank for me before I went anywhere. He was strong enough and feared enough to fight any battle I needed fought, yet he loved and believed in me enough to teach me to fight them myself. I could often find him up at 6 a.m., doing our laundry and helping us get ready for school. Every morning he prayed with us before we left for school, and when we got older and left at different times, he would give us a hug and kiss before letting us know he would be praying for us. Every single day.

I can't even think about my dad without getting tears in my eyes. He never wavered in his integrity, despite all the attacks on him and our family. He endured so much, and not once did he ever fail in his commitment to us or our mom. He was the utmost faithful man I have ever known, and he set the bar high for my sister and I when it came to finding a husband of our own. Of course he was not perfect, and that's exactly what made him such the perfect father. He always apologized and responded with humility when he made a mistake. Countless times I listened to him quietly praying over me at my bedside, begging God to keep me safe and for me to search for God's heart, when he thought I was asleep.

I have an amazing life partner because of him, I truly do believe. I never would have been able to sustain such a good, healthy relationship had it not been for the example he and my mom set in theirs. My dad showed me that I was beautiful and worthy of being treated with utmost respect, and I believed him. I could go on and on and on and on and on....I love my daddy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Emma! That was beautiful! I have tears barely hanging on right now. You are truly blessed!

That precious little life ya'll are nurturing right now is blessed too. Your love and showing him God's love will change his life...I know it! Wow!