layout

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Eat More Chicken


This post has absolutely nothing to do with my opinion on homosexuality.  My opinion doesn't matter anyways.  But I do have an opinion on the whole Chik-fil-A controversy and it's very very simple.  I am always concerned with the social justice issues of today.  If someone is being unfairly treated, not okay.  If someone is being discriminated against, not okay.  If someone's American rights are being violated, I'm usually not okay with that either (not that I believe being American should grant you any more rights than anyone else in this world).

That being said, I can't tell you how many times I have jumped on a bandwagon to boycott something or someone because I don't think it is right.  Proctor and Gamble, Kobe Bryant, K-Mart, Wal-Mart, Samsung, Sony, Hooters, Westborough Baptist Church.  But I think there is a difference in boycotting something because a company financially supports a cause you don't like vs. the owner of the company having an opinion that you don't like.  If the CEO of Old Navy thought we should have public hangings, whatever.  But if the CEO of Old Navy used my money to actively pursue the act of public hangings, then I might have an issue.  I don't agree with most of my friends' opinions on everything.  I'm not sure that Mark and I even agree on all social justice issues.  I'm not going to divorce him for it, though.  That would be stupid.

Some points to consider:

1.  CEO Dan Cathy did not seek out the cause, nor did he organize a rally about his beliefs.  He gave an opinion when asked.

2.  He has not said anything out of hate (or if he has it has not been obvious to me) but out of his own religious beliefs.  Not that things can't be hateful if it's centered around religion, because they very much can. However,  I did not hear any "GOD HATES FAGS" anywhere in his statement.

3.  When anyone expresses support of gay marriage or homosexuality in general, those against that idea seem to always be labeled as spreading hate and discrimination.   So couldn't the same be said about those who are actively banning and starting stuff with Chick-fil-a?

They are spreading and perpetuating hate due to ONE MAN'S OPINION!  It just seems so ridiculous and silly.  Here's my boy, Antoine's, opinion on the issue:



I love him.  Here is my opinion that does not matter whatsoever, because people are too interested in arguing and being right and blaming blaming blaming.  (Sometimes I am that person and am the biggest hypocrite of all, just so you know).

Why can't we come together and not worry about opinions?  Worry about loving your neighbor who you do not agree with.  Even if you consider homosexuality to be a sin, so is lying, gossiping, and saying mean things.  No one ever converted anyone by winning an argument.  Plus, I can think of much bigger things to argue about.  Many of our electronics manufacturers in Mexico are part of a horrible organized crime that assist and at the very LEAST turn their heads at luring, abducting, and murdering young women from small Mexican villages so they can sell their organs on the Black Market.  Let's put some energy into that.  Or maybe into the fact that St. Louis is one of the cities with the largest population of human trafficking victims.  Just my opinion, but I find that to be a little bit more important than arguing over whom one should kiss.

Peace, Love, and Chocolate.



No comments: