layout

Friday, September 21, 2012

Monday Night Thoughts

*There have been several break-ins in our neighborhood in the past week.  I just watched a man pushing a lawn mower down the alley.  While I am a bit of a vigilante, it is getting tiring having to call the police constantly.  In the [recent] past I would have chased him down.  Now that I'm a mom, I don't feel quite as obligated to risk my life for someone's lawnmower.  Tonight, however, I was tempted.  A few months ago I had just had it with these two West County-looking guys about my age who keep meeting their dealer across the street from my house.  I yelled at them from my door and interrogated them, gave them a piece of my mind, and then took their pictures on my phone.  Yes, I am ballsy and a bit grouchy when my 16 year old has been purchasing drugs from some idiot in our neighborhood - maybe your drug dealer - and as a result he cannot live in my home.  So no, I will not keep my opinions to myself when you are purchasing drugs within feet of my front door in broad daylight and you can't even do it discreetly.  I have not seen them since.

*I think I have some sort of food allergies.  I'm trying to get back on my strict Weight Watchers diet, cutting out all dark meats and dairy.  When I do that, I feel great.  When I don't, I feel confused, nauseous, and my brain feels funny.  Is that from a food allergy?

*I'm finally starting to feel like I'm coming out of "The Fog".  Words - mine and yours - are starting to make sense again instead of just getting jumbled in my head and making me feel crazy.  It is still exhausting to try to learn to live without my dad, but I'm getting the hang of it.  It's just that every relationship I have has changed, every event, holiday, belief, interest, thought, and experience has completely changed in the context of my dad not being here.  It's hard to explain.

*Dina Lohan's interview on Dr. Phil was fascinating.  Dr. Phil at his best.

*I'm slowly learning that having people in our home does not have to look a certain way.  Sometimes we stop everything to watch "The Cosby Show".  We fart out loud.  It can be Mark telling three little boys who refuse to eat their dinner that he doesn't like the quiche, either.  It can be letting friends scrounge for food, even after we've just fixed a nice dinner.  Guests can clean up after themselves and do the dishes.  I don't have to serve dessert.  It's okay that the floors look filthy.  My child argues with EVERY THING I SAY.  There is always laundry on the family room couch that needs to be put away - always.  That's real life.  Welcome to the Fitzgerald's!

No comments: