layout

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Brotha from anotha Motha

We had a perfect weekend. Forest Park, dinner at Highland Brewery, movie night with Dana, shopping in the Loop, smoothies, Bread Co., soccer in the backyard, reading books with Izaiah, etc. PERFECT.

A few weeks ago we found out Izaiah has at least 3 additional siblings that we did not know about. That throws a wrench in the adoption plans, but just a small one. The next week we were made aware that Izaiah's biological grandmother died of AIDS; therefore the next day Izaiah's 13-year old uncle (who we also did not know about) came into foster care. Izaiah lived with his grandma when he was taken into care, so I assume he spent a lot of time with his uncle. We can't bring him into our home, though, because we can't do foster care with the state because of my job. That's probably a good thing, as I'm not sure that would have been good for Izaiah. I was really excited to go to the funeral and get to meet Izaiah's family while staying under the radar, but they're all heroine addicts, so there were no funeral arrangements made. Isn't that so sad? Now we have the dilemma of whether or not to contact Izaiah's siblings and uncle to try to maintain relationships with them. That would be no dilemma, except I think their parents would be hard to deal with. Tough stuff.

1 comment:

Gloria & Jeff Woods said...

Wow! Heavy duty stuff! I think this may be one other reason that God wanted you to have this job. This way you don't have to decide about fostering Izaiah's uncle, even though I know you would want to. We love you so much!!!!!!